Title: The No. 1 Car Spotter
Publisher: Walker Books
Number of pages: 111
Type of Book: Fiction
Price: N1200; GBP 5.99
MY SUMMARY (without the ending):
This book, the first in a series introduces the bubbly and cheerful Oluwalase Babatunde Benson as No 1. No. 1 lives in a village where car spotting, a game involving spotting cars sometimes just by hearing the sound of the engine, is a major hobby for the men. He’s the Number 1 car spotter in his village, maybe in the world!
This book contains four ‘complete’ stories in which No 1 saves the day by providing an innovative solution to the problem of the village market cart, goes to the market with the village, buys ‘lipstick’ for Aunty Fine-Fine, runs the risk of losing his hard-earned nickname and helps to save his grandma and improve village life.
The No. 1 Car Spotter series details that fun and frolics of a young boy in a village in an African country (which isn’t mentioned).
THUMBS UP AND DOWN
UP: Reading this book is easy-peasy and the illustrations scattered all over make it even more fun!
- The name of the car manufactured by No. 1 and Wale and his crew: The Toyota Cow-rolla.
- Car spotting is a hobby for the _____________ in No. 1’s village: Men
- What did Aunty Fine-Fine send No. 1 to buy from the shop with many small-small bottles and containers and many girls: Lipstick
- What did No. 1 buy instead: Nail Polish
- As far as No. 1 is concerned, without __________, there is no such thing as good food. Palm Oil
- The 10 pink Porsche convertibles that stirred up dust when No.1 and Coca Cola were returning to the village from the market: Aunty Fine-Fine’s toenails painted with bright hibiscus pink nail polish.
WATCH THE AUTHOR READ FROM THE BOOK HERE:
CHALLENGE: The No. 1 Car Spotter
CREATE (WRITE a Story/Poem OR DRAW)
- Are you a car spotter? Can you list 26 types of cars using the 26 letters of the alphabet?
(e.g A-Aston Martin, B-Bentley, C-Cadillac (these examples cannot be submitted as answers) ( 8 – 12 year olds)
Send your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org
Entry requirements: Entrants must be within the 8-12 age range. The first correct entry will be announced on this page and will win a copy of this book.
Answers must be submitted before 12:00am on Sunday, January 12th 2017.
Next Book of the Week:
TALES FROM THE ARABIAN NIGHTS by Andrew Lang
photo credit: amazon.com