Title: MIDDLE SCHOOL: ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN
Author: James Patterson
Number of pages: 256
Type of Book: Contemporary, Fiction, Interactive/Activity
Buy it here: https://www.laternabooks.com/laterna_product_details.php?v=17304&c=210; https://www.amazon.com/Middle-School-Ultimate-James-Patterson/dp/0316322113/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481486426&sr=8-1&keywords=middle+school+ultimate+showdown
Price: N3,000; $8.53
In this book, the siblings Rafe and Georgia Khatchadorian humorously argue about their views on some of the features and happenings in middle school like farting, bullying, cafeteria food, school dress code, dancing, etc. Rafe is the carefree, rule breaking, Khatchadorain while Georgia is the serious, rule keeping Khatchadorian. Both are opinionated, smart and good with words. Read this book to enjoy and actively participate in the lively debate between Rafe and Georgia and to try the dozens of incredibly fun activities scattered all over the book.
THUMBS UP AND DOWN
UP: It is a GREAT interactive/activity book. Readers are kept busy with all sorts of activities like drawing cartoons and comic strips, cutting out bookmarks, writing stories, going through mazes, doing crosswords puzzles, etc. They also participate in the debate between Rafe and Georgia by writing their own points of view in spaces provided in the book! Kids, boys and girls alike, will love this book. Perfect for keeping them busy for hours on end.
Another major highlight: It tackled a few important issues. One of them was Bullying. The section on bullying was quite informative especially the bit on word bullying, one of the prevalent problems faced by children in schools today.
It’s a great book for reluctant readers.
DOWN: This is not exactly a chapter book (which is ideal for children this age). It’s more like an activity book or a magazine.
- Types of Bullies? Word bullies and cyber bullies.
- A country named after a vegetable? Brussels (from Brussel sprouts!) Newsflash, the vegetable was actually named after the country.
- Georgia’s reaction when Rafe tricked her into dyeing her hair green? She decided to put purple dye in his body wash to turn his skin purple! (Luckily for him, she changed her mind)
- When does Rafe think jeans (trousers) become perfect? When you’ve worn them for 100 days without washing them, climbed at least five trees in them and worn a hole in the knee.
- Rafe thinks fairy tales are for babies, Georgia thinks they’re great. What do you think?
Watch the book trailer here:
CHALLENGE: Middle School #5: Ultimate Showdown
CREATE (WRITE a Story/Poem OR DRAW)
- Write a story about bullies. (200 words) (8 – 9 year olds)
- Draw a 2-paged comic strip on bullying.
- Write a 300-essay story titled ‘All you need to know about Word Bullies’ (10-12 year olds)
- Draw a 4-paged comic strip on bullying.
Send your answers to email@example.com
Entry requirements: Entrants must be within the 8-12 age range. The first correct entry will be announced on this page and will win a copy of this book.
Answers must be submitted before 12:00am on Sunday, December 18th 2016.
Next Book of the Week:
OKIOJO’S CHRONICLES: 1897 by Adeniyi Adeniji
photo credit: Amazon.com