Author: William Shakespeare
Publisher: Usborne Publishing
Number of pages: 48
Type of Book: Fiction Classic
Age: 4 – 8
Buy it here: http://product.chelisbookazine.com/product/the-tempest-young-reading-series-2/; http://www.amazon.com/Tempest-Young-Reading-Two/dp/140950672X; Free Download here: http://sparks.eserver.org/books/shakespeare-tempest.pdf
Price: N580; $7.58
A play of treachery, romance and the triumph of good over evil. There are three plots to usurp in this play. The first is mildly successful. 1. Prospero, the Duke of Milan loses his dukedom to his brother Antonio with the help of the King, Alonso. The second and third are not. 2. Antonio and Sebastian, King Alonso’s brother plan to kill the latter so that Sebastian can become king. 3. Some of the King’s and Prospero’s servants plan to kill Prospero to take over his island. Prospero who doubles as a sorcerer causes a magical storm and shipwreck which brings Antonio, Sebastian, Alonso and his son Ferdinand, and some Lords to the desert island where he has lived for over a decade (since his brother took his dukedom). Here he contrives to use magic to scare them into repentance. Read the book to find out how Prospero regains his beloved Dukedom and how his daughter Miranda marries the Prince.
THUMBS UP AND DOWN
UP: It’s a heartwarming romantic comedy that lives you with a good feeling long after you’ve put the book down. The major highlight for me was Prospero!
- This play was written in the 15th century!
- It was one of the last set of plays written by Shakespeare. (It is thought by many to be the last play he wrote)
- The epilogue by Prospero is believed to be Shakespeare’s way of saying goodbye to writing and his readers!
HAVE FUN WITH THIS BOOK
- Read the story here (the original version): http://sparks.eserver.org/books/shakespeare-tempest.pdf
CHALLENGE: The Tempest
CREATE (WRITE a Story/Poem OR DRAW)
A. Read the summary above, then answer the following questions (6-8 year olds)
- How many children does Prospero have?
- What are the names of Prospero’s and the King’s children?
- How did Prospero bring his brother Antonio and King Alonso to his island?
B. Draw and colour a magician and a sinking ship (4-5 year olds)
Send your answers to email@example.com
Entry requirements: Entrants must be within the 4 – 8 age range. The first correct entry will be announced on this page and will win a copy of this book.
Answers must be submitted before 12:00am on Friday, May 13th 2015.
Next Book of the Week:
TWELFTH NIGHT by William Shakespeare