Title: The Little Mermaid
Author: Hans Christian Andersen
Publisher: Usborne Publishing/ Hythloday
Number of pages: 48/80
Type of Book: Fiction; Classic
Age: 4 – 8
Buy it here:
http://product.chelisbookazine.com/product/the-little-mermaid-young-reading-series-1/; http://www.amazon.com/Little-Mermaid-Original-Illustrations/dp/0615963943/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1461935499&sr=1-4&keywords=the+little+mermaid; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Mermaid-Young-Reading-Packs/dp/0746085338/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461798575&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=the+little+mermaid+suborn+young+reading+series+one;
Free Download here: http://hca.gilead.org.il/li_merma.html
Price: N580; $4.00
The little mermaid, the last and the prettiest of the six daughters of the Sea-King, wants more than anything to rise out of the ocean and see the earth and humans! When finally gets the chance to rise out of the ocean on her fifteenth birthday, she stumbles upon a party on a ship and falls in love with the celebrant, a prince. Suddenly she desperately wants to exchange her fish tail for a pair of legs, to be human. Unbeknownst to her family, she visits the Sea-Witch who grants her wish, on one condition. Read the book to find out how she finally meets the Prince and if they lived happily every after.
THUMBS UP AND DOWN
UP: The original version of this story is replete with vital lessons for children. Young readers learn the advantages of being content, the consequences of disobedience, the importance of love and the soul, etc.
DOWN: The Disney version though it has a happier ending is a bit shallow compared to the original version.
- This story has had at least three different versions with three different endings. In some versions, the prince marries someone else and the little mermaid dies of a broken heart, in the original version, the prince marries someone else and the little mermaid joins the ‘Daughters of the Air’, a group of ethereal spirits and in Disney’s version, she marries the prince and they live happily ever after!
- The little mermaid is called ‘the little mermaid in some versions, Melody in others and Ariel by Disney.
- In the story, the little mermaid had the finest voice in the world!
HAVE FUN WITH THIS BOOK
- Watch a video here (Disney’s version):
- Read the story here (the original version): http://hca.gilead.org.il/li_merma.html
CHALLENGE: The Little Mermaid
CREATE (WRITE a Story/Poem OR DRAW)
- Read the story here: http://hca.gilead.org.il/li_merma.html (version 1)
Answer the following questions (6-8 year olds)
- How many sisters does the little mermaid have?
- What did the little mermaid give to the Sea-Witch in exchange for a pair of legs?
- Who are the Daughters of the Air?
- Draw and colour the little mermaid (4-5 year olds)
Send your answers to email@example.com
Entry requirements: Entrants must be within the 4 – 8 age range. The first correct entry will be announced on this page and will win a copy of this book.
Answers must be submitted before 12:00am on Tuesday, May 3rd 2015.
Next Book of the Week:
THE TEMPEST by William Shakespeare