Title: How to Build Your Own Country
Author: Valerie Wyatt
Publisher: Cassava Republic Press/Kids Can Press
Number of pages: 40
Type of Book: Contemporary, Fiction
Price: N800; $13.85
Imagine having your own country! Better still, imagine having your own country and having it named after yourself! The Federal Republic of Ugochinyelu J Impossible right? Think again!!
Valerie Wyatt says building your own country is easy-peasy, as easy as 1 -2 – 3! All you have to do: 1. Stake your identity by creating your country’s flag, money and national anthem; 2. Run your country by holding elections, forming governments and making laws, etc., and 3. meet your neighbours and join organizations.
But is it really that easy? How will you find a population for your country, hold elections, make laws, create your own money and national anthem, write a constitution, etc.?
Read the book to find out!
THUMBS UP AND DOWN
UP: Humour. This is edutainment at its best. It is truly an excellent ‘How To’ guide for building a country especially for kids. It is packed with information on how to make laws, write a constitution, create passports, money, flags, etc. It also has a template for creating a national anthem. It is also filled with fun facts such as funny laws made in the world, the largest, smallest, poorest and richest countries in the world, etc. A valuable reference tool for teachers and parents on the subject of civic education.
Replete with fun filled projects, it is the perfect book to keep your kids (boys and girls alike) busy for an entire weekend at the very least.
The illustrations are fantastic! They add to the general quirkiness of the book.
DOWN: None. Warning! There is an image of a decapitated head of state.
- How old was the youngest person who started a micronation? 5 years old! Eric Lis started a micronation called the Aerican Empire in 1987. It boasts over 400 citizens!
- In 2006, Duncan MacDonald cast his vote in an election. The problem? Duncan is a dog!
- A funny law made in Thailand: It is illegal to leave your house if you’re not wearing underwear!
- How to name your country after yourself? Chop off he last bit of your name (first or last) and add ‘a’ or ‘ia’ OR tack on ‘land’ or ‘stan’.
- How to create your own national anthem? Use words like “glory, freedom, victory, honour” and pick a catchy tune like ‘Old MacDonald’s Has a Farm’ or ‘Walking on Sunshine’
Watch the book trailer here:
CHALLENGE: How to Build Your Own Country
CREATE (WRITE a Story/Poem OR DRAW)
- Write short 75-word paragraphs on the following forms of government. Plus: countries that have these forms of government. a. Oligarchy b. Democracy c. Theocracy d. Autocracy e. Single Party
- Build your own country.
Create samples of your Passport, Money, Flag and National Anthem (plus tune)
Send your answers to email@example.com
Entry requirements: Entrants must be within the 8-12 age range. The first correct entry will be announced on this page and will win a copy of this book.
Answers must be submitted before 12:00am on Sunday, March 6th 2016.
Next Book of the Week:
ADAEZE THE TRUE PRINCESS by Nnenna Ochiche