Title: Beem Explores Africa
Author: Simidele Dosekun
Number of pages: 40
Type of Book: Fiction; African
Age: 6 – 10
Available here: https://www.mobiashara.com/Farafina/beem-explores-africa; http://www.amazon.com/Beem-Explores-Africa-Simidele-Dosekun/dp/9780799931/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=; http://www.konga.com/beem-explores-africa-1507357
Price: N500; $5.26; N500
Beem, a young Nigerian girl, explores Africa in this beautifully illustrated and vibrantly coloured book about the continent: its flora and fauna, peoples and landscape. Replete with all sorts of fun facts about Africa such as its longest mountain range (the Atlas Mountain range) that goes across three countries and its longest river (River Nile) that runs across eleven countries, its largest and driest deserts, flesh and plant-eating animals, different tribes, etc., it a must read for all the members of the family. If your child is a lover of history or geography or if he/she suffers loves travelling, this is a good book for him/her. Have him/her read the book to join Beem on a journey to discover the wonders of the great continent that is Africa!
THUMBS UP AND DOWN
UP: This book could have been titled: Sights and Sounds of Africa for kids. It is a valuable reference tool for all kids. Readers learn a lot about the continent: its highest mountain, longest river, biggest desert, largest country and the history of some of these places.
I recommend this book for everyone, old and young alike. For the oldies (like me) it’ll serve as a ‘refresher course’ and for the youngies, a starting point. I recommend it specially for kids with a love for Africa and a thirst for Geography and History.
- Ask your child to list four items that can be found in an explorer’s bag. a. a camera b. a compass c. a map `d. binoculars
- Ask your child to list three herbivores, two omnivores and three carnivores mentioned in the book. A. Herbivores: antelopes, buffalos, cows. B. Carnivores: snakes, lions, cheetahs C. Omnivores: gorillas, monkeys,
HAVE FUN WITH THIS BOOK
- Team the reading experience with a fact-finding fete. Try to answer some of the questions Beem asks in the book.
- How are Pyramids built?
- Why do waterfalls make a lot of noise when the water splashes?
- Do you have ruins in your country?
- What is the bottom of a river called?
CHALLENGE: Beem Explores Africa
CREATE (WRITE a Story/Poem OR DRAW)
- Write a short 400-word essay on either of the following: The Great Sphinx or the Egyptian Pyramids (8-10 year olds)
- Draw (and name) five items commonly found in rucksacks carried by Explorers (6-7 year olds)
Send your answers to email@example.com
Entry requirements: Entrants must be within the 6 – 10 age range. The first correct entry will be announced on this page and will win a copy of this book.
Answers must be submitted before 12:00am on Wednesday, February 3rd 2015.
Next Book of the Week:
YETUNDE: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF A YORUBA GIRL IN LONDON by Ms. Segilola Salami