Title: Treasure Island
Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Publisher: Bendon Classics
Number of pages: 182
Type of Book: Classic, Fiction, Adventure
Available here: https://www.jumia.com.ng/jumia-books-treasure-island-treasury-of-illustrated-classics-storybook-collection-2604387.html; http://www.amazon.com/Treasure-Island-Junior-Classics-Readers/dp/B006Q1TNM8
Price: N1,500; $3.88
Billy Bones, an old ‘Captain’ with the crew of the late Pirate Captain Flint, a famous buccaneer, came to the Admiral Benbow, an inn run by young Jim Hawkins’ father. Turns out the old ‘Captain’ had a chest of gold and a treasure map which was sought by Captain Flint’s old pirate crew, a group of motley creatures, some old some young, some blind some not, some scarred some not, some broody some jolly but all quite dangerous. Young Jim Hawkins got to the treasure map before Captain Flint’s old crew and set off on a treasure hunt to Treasure Island with a squire, a doctor and some servants. Little did they know that the crew they hired to man their ship was the very same crew they were trying to avoid. Read the book to find out what happened to them when they got to Treasure Island. Did young and daring Jim, the good doctor and the talkative squire find the treasure? Or did Long John Silver and his motley crew?
THUMBS UP AND DOWN
UP: Everything!! Get ready for some excitement and terror! It was a delightful read. I love books and movies about pirates and this one is no exception. I read it some 20 years ago and loved it, I loved it even more as an adult! It’s a good old adventure tale of buccaneers and buried gold!
I loved the characters: one-legged Long John Silver, the jolly but dangerous sea cook/pirate/tavern owner with his parrot Captain Flint, forever perched on his shoulder; Ben Gunn, the almost crazy, cheese-craving, pirate dressed in tattered ship sails, leather strings and sticks, who had been marooned on Treasure Island for three years! And of course the young and daring Jim Hawkins!!
Other highlights were the Black Spot, Black Dog and Billy Bones. Read the book to find out who/what these were.
I recommend this book for the family.
One of my best lines from the book: ‘Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!’
NB: This is an abridged version for children.
- Why did the squire and the doctor ask Jim not to mention the exact location of Treasure Island in his writings? Because there is still treasure there!
- What was buried in Treasure Island? Six pirates from old Captain Flint’s pirate crew and treasure in Gold and Silver! (Seven hundred thousand in Gold)
- Jim Hawkins was initially deceived by this person’s appearance – a horrible, eyeless, soft-spoken creature with an iron grip and a cruel, cold and ugly voice? Pew
- Who was Captain? He was a huge scary brown old seaman with a white scar across his cheek, black fingernails, rude language and dreadful stories about the sea. He had the map of Treasure Island.
- Everyone who walked into the Admiral Benbow Inn lived in fear of the Captain, while he lived in fear of/sought after one man? A sea-faring man with only one leg!
- “Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight!” Who/What said this over and over again? Long John Silver’s parrot, Captain Flint.
Read the audiobook here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atBFFhV2Jcs
CHALLENGE: Treasure Island
CREATE (WRITE a Story/Poem OR DRAW)
- What is Buccaneering? Write a short 400-word essay
- Draw a picture of the Long John Silver using the details below as well as other details mentioned in this review.
“His left leg was cut off close by the hip, and under the left shoulder he carried a crutch, which he managed with wonderful dexterity, hopping about upon it like a bird. He was very tall and strong, with a face as big as a ham – plain and pale, but intelligent and smiling”.
- Write the full text and the origin of the pirate song:
‘Fifteen men on a Dead Man’s Chest
Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum’
Send your answers to email@example.com
Entry requirements: Entrants must be within the 8-12 age range. The first correct entry will be announced on this page and will win a copy of this book.
Answers must be submitted before 12:00am on Sunday, December 13th 2015
Next Book of the Week:
TALES OF A FOURTH GRADE NOTHING by Judy Blume