Title: Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants
Author: Dav Pilkey
Number of pages: 160
Type of Book: Fiction; Graphic Novel
Age: 7 – 10
Available here: http://www.learnington-ng.com/literature/456-roald-dahl-s-mischief-and-mayhem.html?search_query=captain+underpants&results=6; http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Underpants-Perilous-Professor-Poopypants/dp/0439049989/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1448348696&sr=1-1&keywords=Captain+underpants+book+4
Price: N2000; $5.99
This is one of the quirkiest books I have EVER read! George and Harold are two friends who like to ‘liven things up’ and inadvertently get into a LOT of trouble. In this book, they drive their new science teacher, maniacal mad-scientist, Professor Poopypants crazy and he decides to take over the world in the funniest/silliest way possible. Read it to find out how George, Harold and Captain Underpants try to stop Professor Poopypants and his perilous plan.
THUMBS UP AND DOWN
UP: The Flip-O-Rama!!! I love books with activities for readers. It makes them more interactive and automatically more interesting. I also loved the fact that George and Harold wrote, photocopied and sold comic books to their schoolmates. This brought back pleasant memories of primary school. I made good money from my classmates by selling my stories to them every week! Another highlight was the fact that the book introduces a moral in a very subtle way. It encourages kids/people not to laugh at other people. I also loved the names of the citizens of New SwissLand.
DOWN: It was a bit too silly.
- Who was Captain Underpants, the underwear-wearing super hero? Krupp, the Principal of Jerome Horwitz Elementary School.
- Why did Professor Pippy Pee-Pee Poopypants get so angry that he went crazy? Because George and Harold made a comic book that made fun of him.
- What was the perilous plot of Professor Poopypants? To take over the world and get everyone to change their names so that everyone would have silly names like him.
- What is the moral of the story? It’s not nice to make fun of people.
- Why did Mr. Fyde the science teacher resign? Because he thought he was going crazy.
- How did George and Harold get back at their teachers and principal for laughing at them and stopping them from going on the field trip? They went into the teacher’s lounge, taped the tap’s spray handle on the ‘on’ position, poured powdered soap flakes on the blades of the ceiling fan, and filled the fridge with white Styrofoam pellets. When the teachers came back into the lounge and turned the tap and fan on, they were first soaked, then covered with soapy powder which soon turned to paste because of the water and then when the fridge was opened, the fan blew the foam pellets all over the room and they landed on the teacher’s sticky bodies, making them look like a group of giant evil snowmen.
CHALLENGE: Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants
CREATE (WRITE or DRAW)
- What is a Flip-O-Rama? Write a 400-word essay
- Make a Flip-O-Rama.
1a. OR 2a. What is the chapter after the chapter before the last chapter?
Send your answers to email@example.com (NB: If you make a Flip-O-Rama, take a picture of your Flip-O-Rama and send it to the email address above)
Entry requirements: Entrants must be within the 7 – 10 age range. The first correct entry will be announced on this page and will win a copy of this book.
Answers must be submitted before 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, November 29th 2015
Next Book of the Week:
AFRO: THE GIRL WITH THE MAGICAL HAIR by Okechukwu Ofili
Dorky DiaperLips (My new name courtesy of Professor Poopypants)